Sunday, November 1, 2009

Baby Food

At 5 months, we started giving Lexi some rice cereal in anticipation of her starting to eat solid foods. She has done really well with the rice cereal and seems to like it. We have been feeding it to her both by the spoon and putting some of it in her bottle....depending on how much time we have at night. The rice cereal has really helped her sleeping and she is getting back to sleeping through the night...though not reliably. This week is her 6 month birthday...can you believe it?? I sure can't! When she got sick this week, we combined her emergency trip to the pediatrician with her 6 month check up. Here are her stats:
Heighth: 25 1/2 inches - 50th Percentile
Weight: 15 pounds 13 ounces - 50th percentile
So...she is basically right where she was at her 4 month check up. Good stuff.
So on to baby food...we will start giving her some "real" food next week....we are not sure what to start with, so any suggestions are appreciated. Lexi has been on breastmilk this whole time until the rice cereal, she has only had formula twice! Before starting nursing if you told me that 6 months into it she would have had maybe 6 ounces TOTAL of formula, I would have thought you were crazy. But, we seem to have gotten in the grove, and pumping at work has worked out well, though as I get busier at work, taking time to pump 3 times during the day is getting more and more difficult! A couple of weekends ago, I got a wild hair to make my own baby food. My main motivation for this is cost savings...those little bottles of pureed baby food can really add up. I also had a coworker that gave me some good suggestions on how to cook it in large batches and put it in ice cube trays and freeze. So check it out! My carrots and green beans seemed to turn out well, I operated the food processor all by myself and everything...Mom aren't you proud?? Actually, you are probably proud that I own a food processor...yes, it was a gift. :)
The final product....

Here are some pictures from feeding Lexi the rice cereal, again with the confused camera face, but cute nonetheless!
Messy face!
Ryan loves feeding Lexi, he has been a great help.


2 comments:

Jenn said...

A suggestion: once your baby food is frozen take it out of the trays and place them in ziplock bags. This is much easier than prying them out of the tray several times a day. This will also help with freezer burn. If you don't use this idea you should still cover your food (if you are not already). I started Allie on sweet potatoes, carrots, squash. Moved on to green beans and the only thing she ever refused was broccoli. I also bough frozen fruit and pureed that, she loved that. Basically anything can be used if you can grind it up. I always tried to give her one veg and one fruit each meal. Allie was on table food very early which will make your job much easier.

By the way a huge congrats to you for breast feeding this long while WORKING!!! You are doing a great job. Lexi has the most awesome mom ever.

Emily said...

Thanks Jenn...I did take them out and put in ziplock bags....I tried to buy sweet potatoes and accidentally bought yams...that's what I get for trusting the sign at fred meyers..lol.